Get ready for the gridlock. President Obama is back in town, and will be all over Los Angeles County today.
11:20am – Obama arrives at LAX from SFO
12:45pm – USC Campaign Event for Barbara Boxer
2:00pm – Event Rally at USC Alumni Park – this is the biggie
2:50pm – Obama departs from USC and travels to Glendale for radio interview
4:05pm – Obama departs Glendale for LAX – may possibly use Marine 1 helicopter
While Obama is travelling between LAX and USC, it’s safe to assume the 405, 110 and 105 freeways may be affected, as well as any number of streets in that corridor. No particulars have been released.
Major streets affected include Martin Luther King Jr, Figueroa, Vermont, Exposition and 39th St.
Soft Closures begin at 9:30am, which means pedestrians but not vehicles will be let through. Hard closures begin at 11:25am and they will continue until 2:50pm. No people or traffic will be let through.
Street Closures are as follows:
- Martin Luther King between Figueroa and Vermont
- Vermont between Martin Luther King and Exposition
- Figueroa between Martin Luther King and 39th
- Exposition between Vermont and Figueroa
Attending the event at USC
- Gates open at 10am
- Enter at Trousdale Pkwy just south of W 34th Street
- Park at USC Parking Center on 35th Street east of Grand or USC Parking Structure 1 at Exposition and Figueroa
- Prohibited Items: Laptops, sharp objects, metal, glass or plastic drink bottles, folding chairs, backpacks, purses larger than a sheet of paper, food, drink, posters or signs. You can bring a small camera
LAPD and Secret Service will not say how Obama is travelling from USC to Glendale. Obvious freeway routes include:
- 110 NORTH to the 5 NORTH to the 134 EAST
- 110 NORTH to the 5 NORTH to the 2 NORTH to the 134 WEST
Glendale PD has not been as forthcoming with the information. Here’s what we do know…
The radio station that Obama will be taping an interview at is located at 655 N Central Ave in the Glendale Plaza building. That is just south of the 134 freeway near the Central exit at Pioneer. Definetly expect closures on Central as well as activity on the 134 freeway.
Again, no information has been given about Obama’s route from Glendale back to LAX. There are some indications that a helicopter may be used for this portion of the journey. However, if it is not, expect the 5, 2, 134, 110, 105 and 405 freeways to be affected.
Metro tells us there are no rail disruptions due to Obama’s visit, however there will probably be bus disruptions – they just don’t know which ones. They will notify us throughout the day and we’ll pass the info along to you. Some general information is that the Silver Line will be popular to get to USC. They suggest getting off buses early and walking part of the distance to speed your arrival.
Also, don’t forget a Police Brutality protest will be taking place in Downtown Los Angeles around noon, heading west on 5th and 6th to Macarthur Park.
As we’ve said before, this is preliminary information and subject to change. Make sure to check back to this page for updates throughout the day, as well as follow us on twitter at http://www.twitter.com/totaltrafficla
OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST:
- Obama Traffic Friday: Closures of Streets and Freeways around USC, Burbank Airport
- 5 SOUTH Closed Past Western in Burbank/Glendale Due to Yam Truck Fire
- Traffic Maps
- Traffic Jammed on 134 in Burbank After Dump Truck Loses Drive Shaft
- Man Gets Glass in Eye After Crash on the 134 EAST near Harvey in Glendale